Monday, October 6, 2014

Be encouraged for the little things

We can learn a lot from old (dead), wise, and successful men. 

"It is always preferable to go only one hundred steps if you cannot go a mile; it takes you closer to the goal, if you have a goal. But if you insist on getting to the goal in a single stride, in my opinion that is not intelligence. It might even be called downright laziness.
We do not like difficulties; we are not accustomed to advancing one step at a time; we prefer flying to the goal in a single leap or becoming a Regulus [to perish in heroic action]. That is certainly laziness." - G.K. Chesterton

"My circumstances however grew daily easier: my original habits of frugality continuing. And my Father having among his Instructions to me when a Boy, frequently repeated a Proverb of Solomon, 'Seest thou a Man diligent in his calling, he shall stand before Kings, he shall not stand before mean Men.' ... I did not think that I should ever literally stand before Kings, which however has since happened; for I have stood before five, and even had the honor of sitting down with one, the King of Denmark, to Dinner." - Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment