Thursday, October 25, 2012

Song of Solomon part 1

Introduction:

 In Jerusalem, about this same time two years ago, I first read Song of Solomon as unto God, while sitting by myself on the top of a hill overlooking the old city. It was the first time I started reading the book as a love story between the King and me. It was difficult at first, because I had trouble understanding how such intimacy could possibly be between God and I. At times the reading felt too awkward to be referring to God, and then I would switch to thinking of an earthly man. I read Song of Solomon  again, a year later at the same time (2011 fall season), through a Bible Study with Jenny Christiansen. Through her inspired teaching and explaining, it was then that the words of this book personally came alive to me and started revealing Jesus' heart for each of us to enter into mature love and oneness with Him (as well as an incredible guide for a future marriage relationship!).

After each Friday morning Song of Solomon study, I couldn't help but quickly get alone with the love of my life and meditate on what He had just spoken to me. "My beloved spake, Rise up, my fair one, and come away"- 2:10. I was overwhelmed with awe at God's love for me. How is it possible that we could ravish God's heart with one look of our eyes?  These truths so moved me, that I started to write a poem for God in worshipful response to each new passage we read in study. I am now reading Song of Solomon again (same time of year!), and again I am strangely overwhelmed with desire to write in response to what I read. Maybe not everything will make it on this blog, but as Song of Solomon's sister Psalm says, "My heart overflows with a pleasing theme; I address my verses to the king;  my tongue is like the pen of a ready scribe"- Psalm 45:1. It seems that even the writer of Psalm 45 was deeply moved to write about the King's marriage. And since I believe Jesus is coming soon for His bride, Song of Solomon is ever more dear to my heart.

"Make haste, my beloved, and be thou like a roe or to a young hart upon the mountains of spices"- 8:14.

"Real love is always fated. It has been arranged before time. It is the most meticulously prepared of coincidences. And fate, of course, is simply a secular term for the will of God, and coincidence for His grace."- The Mystery of Marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment